For the dough:
- 90ml milk
- 1 package dry yeast
- 40g sugar
- 270g plain flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp almond extract or 1/4 tsp Amaretto
- 40g salted butter at room temperature
- seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp each of orange and lemon zest
For the soufflé dishes:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Carefully heat the milk and stir in the dry yeast, sugar, almond extract, vanilla, orange and lemon zest until the sugar has dissolved. Sieve the flour into a seperate bowl and add the flavoured milk mixture. Add the butter and egg yolks and knead until a smooth dough has formed. Cover the bowl with a hot, wet paper towel and a kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm place for about 45 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.
2. Melt the butter and brush each dish with half a tablespoon of butter, reserving the rest to brush the dumplings. Sprinkle the buttered dishes with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar each and add half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to each dish.
3. Divide the dough into 4 even parts and form 4 balls. Put each ball into an individual prepared soufflé dish, cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rise for another 45 minutes. Brush with the rest of the melted butter.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F and bake the "Buchteln" for 15 to 20 minutes until golden-brown.