Even though it does take some time to prepare them because of the proofing time, they are really simple and anyone can make them.
For about 16 beignets you will need:
- 250g (1 cup) flour
- 1 sachet of dry-yeast
- 60g (1/4cup) sugar
- 30g (2 tbsp) butter, melted
- 100ml (3,4 oz) milk, warm
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp kirsch
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
1. In a big bowl, combine the dry ingredients and form a little well in the middle.
2. Add the melted butter, warm milk, egg and kirsch into the well. Start combining the wet ingredients with a fork and slowly work in the dry ingredients and knead thoroughly until you have a soft and only slightly sticky dough. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
3. Slightly dust your work surface with flour, knock back the yeast dough and using a rolling pin, roll it to about 5mm (1/5 of an inch) thickness. With a pizza roller, cut it into rectangles of about 3x5 cm (1 inch x 2 inch). Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise one last time, for about 45 minutes.
4. In a deep pan, heat 300ml (10 oz) of sunflower oil. (The temperature is right when bubbles start to appeare around the stick end of a wooden spoon when inserted). Fry one small batch of beignets after another, allowing them to fry for about 90 seconds per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Generously dust with icing sugar.