Instead of using this recipe to make muffins you can also use it to bake Lemon Poppy Seed Cake in jar (see picture at the end of this post!). The quantities will yield 4 preserving jars of 150 ml /8.5 oz. content. Here you will find instructions for baking cake in a jar. Step 1 is especially important as it will give you a sanitized jar to make the cakes last for some months. Also you will want to grease the jars generously. But apart from those two steps you can just follow the instruction for the Lemon Poppy Seed Cakes below. However, if baked in a jar, the cakes will have to stay in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, i.e. 20-25 minutes in total. Seal the jars while still hot and do not use glaze/frosting to make sure your cakes can be stored for 3 to 6 months!
For 12 muffins you will need:
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon-flavoured yoghurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 poppy seeds
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 338F / 170°C.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar and a pinch of salt until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and and beat well after each addition.
Add the yoghurt, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest and the ground ginger and beat well.
2. Sift the flour and baking soda, add to the rest and whisk until a nice even batter has formed. Add the poppy seeds and give it another mix.
3. Divide the batter evenly among 12 greased muffin cases, about one generous tablespoon per case. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and without any crumbs sticking to it. Let cool completely.
4. For the glaze mix all the ingredients and spread evenly onto muffins. Allow to dry for about 1 hour.